Get Your Federal Tax Credits Before It Is To Late

The Department of Energy released a reminder this week to cash in on the Extended Federal Tax Credits for Energy Efficiency.   Be sure to remind your customers of these tax credits as they will expire at the end of the year.   Here is the tax credit reminder from the DOE.

Department of Energy


December is just around the corner, and so is the expiration for some of the Extended Federal Tax Credits for Energy Efficiency. In fact, December 31, 2013, will be the last day you can use the following tax credit to make your home more energy efficient—and save yourself some hard-earned cash by reducing your monthly energy costs this winter.

With colder temperatures on the horizon, this deadline provides the perfect impetus for homeowners to upgrade their heating, insulation, doors, and windows. Or, why not invest in a biomass stove for safe-burning heat with lower fuel costs? The tax savings on these new products could be a great way to start the holiday season, readying you and your family for battling blistering cold and snow.

For the full list that applies to this expiring tax credit, read on. If you purchased certain energy-efficient products during 2012 or 2013, you could be eligible to receive a tax credit for 10% of the cost up to $500, or a specific amount from $50-$300 for the six following product categories.


– Biomass stoves

-HVAC systems


-Roofing (metal & asphalt)

-Water heaters (non-solar)

-Windows and doors.


The products above must be installed in an existing home or your principal residence on or before December 31, 2013.
Fortunately, that’s not all. Despite the expiring tax credit above, consumers can still apply for the following tax credits for the next three years. The product categories listed below are eligible for a tax credit of 30% of the cost with no upper limit until December 31, 2016.


-Geothermal heat pumps

-Small wind turbines (residential)

-Solar energy systems.


This tax credit can be used on eligible products installed in new or existing homes, and a principal residence or second home would both qualify (but not rentals).


Finally, you may receive a tax credit for 30% of the cost, up to $500 per .5 KW of power, for residential fuel cell and microturbine systems through December 31, 2016. These can be used on new or existing homes, but only a principal residence. Second homes and rentals do not qualify.


To receive these tax credits, you will need to submit the 5695 form with your 2013 taxes. To learn more information about specific requirements for each product, as well as information on applying for these tax credits, visit ENERGY STAR®. And be sure to check out our Savings page for federal and state-specific tax credits and rebates.

Department of Energy PSAs

The Department of Energy released a couple of PSAs a few months ago to help educate homeowners on some basic tips to save energy and money.  There are many things that you can help homeowners with that will save them money.

To name a few:

  1. Air Sealing
  2. Weatherization

The Many Uses of Metal Building Insulation


While its name may lead you to believe it’s only for insulating metal buildings, the uses of laminated or unfaced fiberglass metal building insulation are limitless!


Metal building insulation is most commonly used by steel erectors while the steel building is being put up.  The erector will typically run a 4’ or 6’ roll of white faced insulation over the roof of a metal building.  The erector will start at the building’s eave and work towards the ridge and then work back down to the other eave.  The insulation is sandwiched in place between the roof purlin and roof sheeting.  The same method can be applied to the walls.  A 4’ or 6’ insulation is typically hung from the eave down to the floor and then held in place by a friction fit between the wall girt and wall panel. The 4’ and 6’ rolls provide for labor savings and make metal building insulation a cost effective method for insulating a steel building


An insulation contractor can use these faced rolls to retrofit an old metal building where the standard 2” white vinyl used in days past is no longer sufficient for comfort. Or the contractor could use metal building insulation for a sub floor with non-standard framing such as a floor with 48” on center framing members.  A contractor could also insulate a tilt wall or pre-cast concrete building with this insulation. In some areas, one could even use metal building insulation in a curtain wall application, though it’s best to check your local building codes for approved applications
An HVAC contractor can use FSK faced rolls of metal building insulation to wrap ducts, keeping conditioned air cool as it runs through the ducts.


A BPI specialist can wrap an older water heater with metal building insulation, or can improve the comfort of one’s home by insulating an often overlooked knee-wall in a residential attic.
Even the homeowner can get involved with metal building insulation, unrolling it over existing insulation in their attic to give them some additional R Value.


The next time your insulation needs require some outside of the box thinking, consider metal building insulation from Service Partners.


~ Chris Melhus

Service Partners Supply